- 649cc parallel twin-cylinder, DOHC engine is the most compact in its category.
- The engine is considerably smaller than that of the Ninja 500 and helps reduce the dimension of the entire motorcycle
- Tuned to deliver smooth, responsive power in the low-to mid-rpm range with exceptional roll-on response –ideal for negotiating city traffic
- Triangular crank and transmission shaft layout makes it short front to back, a semi-dry sump oil system reduces overall engine height, and the narrow pitch of the chrome composite plated aluminum cylinders helps reduce engine width
- Muffler with 3-way catalyzer and bullet-tip opening is mounted below the engine to help lower the center of gravity and aid weight centralization
- 180-degree crankshaft plus balancer shaft for extremely smooth engine operation
- Oil jets on the connecting rod big ends spray oil on the undersides of the pistons to aid cooling
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows closer engine tolerances for more horsepower
- Fewer external hoses because the coolant is routed through the engine cases
Digital Fuel Injection (DFI)
- Utilizes 38mm Keihin throttle bodies with ECU controlled sub throttle valves for optimum performance and rideability
- The sub throttles, located behind the main throttle valves, permit the DFI system a more precise throttle response, similar to a constant velocity carburetor
- Automatic fast idle system makes starting and warm-up easy
- Precise fuel injection plus exhaust catalyzer significantly reduce emissions
Digital Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) System
- Microprocessor controlled timing never requires adjustment and is ultra responsive to engine needs
- Spark plug mounted “stick” ignition coils are compact and help reduce weight
- Cassette style transmission means the shafts and shift drum are in a compact layout that is easily removed as a single unit from the case for easier maintenance
- High tensile steel trellis frame is small and light
- Designed using 3-dimensional computer analysis to achieve the optimum stiffness balance for better handling
- Narrow at the knees and feet for increased rider comfort and control
Single shock Rear Suspension
- Aluminum gull-wing swingarm and offset, laydown single rear shock complement the frame design to create an integrated line flowing from the steering head to the rear hub
- Short, compact frame and engine design allows the swingarm to be longer, which helps improve overall handling
- Showa shock has adjustable preload and rebound damping and uses a free piston and two-stage damping valves for smooth action during initial compression that becomes much firmer near the end of the stroke for a more planted feel
- 41mm Inverted fork with stiff springs combines the best of off-road and sportbike-type suspension for excellent performance over a wide range of conditions
- Tapered, relatively short outer tubes help provide the ideal stiffness balance to compliment chassis settings
- Fork height, preload and rebound damping can all be adjusted to fine-tune the suspension to specific conditions or riding style
Triple Petal Design Brake Discs
- Petal design rotors offer improved cooling and warp resistance
- Same rotor design as found on the Ninja ZX™-6R and ZX™-10R supersport machines
- Also found on the Ninja ZX-6R and ZX-10R; the six-spoke design requires much less material between spokes so that the rim thickness is thinner and overall wheel weight is reduced
- Each part of the two-piece seat was designed with a different thickness and firmness of foam to optimize comfort for both rider and passenger
- Passenger seat and grab bars were designed to provide a natural seating position for added comfort
- Easy-to-read instrument panel has a large analog tachometer and digital readout for the speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, dual trip meters and clock. White LED backlighting provides increased visibility at night
- Three different settings, each 20mm apart, allows riders to adjust windscreen height to suit their preferences
- Engine Type: Four-stroke, liquid cooled, DOHC, four-valve per cylinder, parallel twin
- Displacement: 649 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 83.0 x 60.0 mm
- Compression Ratio: 10.6:1
- Maximum Torque: 44.9 lb/ft @6,800 rpm
- Cooling: Liquid
- Fuel Injection: Digital fuel injection with two 38mm Keihin throttle bodies
- Ignition: Digital CDI
- Transmission: 6-Speed
- Final Drive: O-Ring Chain
- Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
- Rake/Trail: 25°/4.3 in.
- Front Tire Size: 120/70-17
- Rear Tire Size: 160/60-17
- Wheelbase: 55.7
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork with adjustable rebound and preload / 5.9 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Single offset laydown shock with adjustable rebound and spring preload / 5.7 in.
- Front Brake Type: Dual 300mm petal discs with two-piston caliper
- Rear Brake Type: Single 220mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 5.0 gal.
- Seat Height: 33.1
- Dry Weight: 399 lbs.
- Overall length: 83.7 in.
- Overall width: 33.1 in.
- Overall height: 51.8 in.
- Color: Passion Red
- Warranty: 12 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months